One of the most experienced IVF specialists in Europe
FIRST IVF clinic in entire Cyprus & Greece; 35+ years of experience
Invitro fertilization or IVF is a complex and expensive procedure, where your doctor’s experience can be highly valuable. For IVF in Cyprus consult with the country’s first IVF doctor and get treated at a clinic with close to 40 years of experience.
Infertility Aide works only with organizations that have consistently high success rates and are highly rated by our clients.
Located right in the heart of the beautiful capital Nicosia, you can get first-rate treatment at this Daycare Clinic that is fully accredited by the Government of Cyprus and fully licensed as a Tissue Establishment by the European Union Tissues & Cells Directive.
How much is IVF in Cyprus?
The cost of IVF in Cyprus is €5,000. This includes:
- Treatment plan for recipient
- Scanning and supervision
- Egg collection
- Insemination with sperm (IVF or ICSI)
- Embryo culture
- 1st embryo transfer
Fertility Specialist Cyprus
What is the age limit for IVF in Cyprus?
The age limit for seeking IVF treatment in Cyprus is 50 years for women, just as it is in most European countries.
However, if you’re over that age (upto 53 years) you can apply to the Board of Medically Assisted Reproduction in the country and get special permission for your IVF.
Is egg donation IVF legal in Cyprus?
Donor egg IVF is legal and well-regulated in Cyprus. You can either opt for a fresh donor cycle or get a batch of frozen donor eggs. It could be anywhere from 2 to 10 eggs (depending upon your preference and budget) and most of them are genetically tested for 302 recessive genes.
Donor eggs are considered if you have:
- Ovarian insufficiency
- Ovarian damage due to injury, surgery, chemo, or radiotherapy
- Poor quality eggs due to advance age
- Multiple IVF failures
- Inherited genetic diseases
Complete medical and gynecological tests are done before anyone is accepted into the donor program. This includes blood group, AMH, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia (PCR), Gonorrhea (PCR), and CMV, etc.
Only women between 18 and 33 years of age can donate their eggs, and using vitrified eggs from these donors, an average clinical pregnancy rate of 78 % has been recorded.
The egg bank in Cyprus is licensed by
- EU Tissues & Cells Directive
- The US FDA
- Health Canada
Highlights of our Donor Egg program in Cyprus
- International accreditation: Only of the only donor banks to be EUTCD licensed by the EUTCD, approved by the FDA, and is compliant of HFEA Heath Canada, Ireland, Sweden, and Irish guidelines.
- International Donors: Large international pool of donors because of the international universities in the area and expats that come to work in Cyprus. We can also provide fresh oocytes upon request.
- Anonymity – We hold anonymous and non-anonymous donors and follow the regulations based on the country the patients are being treated. Patients treated in Cyprus must use anonymous donors but if eggs or embryos are shipped to a non-anonymous country, the donor will be non-anonymous
- Our guarantee: Provided that sperm meets the WHO criteria for normality
- 2 blastocysts guaranteed from 8 mature oocytes
- 1 blastocyst guaranteed from 6 mature oocytes
- Genetic testing: All donors are routinely tested for up to 250 recessive genes including Fragile-X, Cystic Fibrosis, SMA & Thalassemia
- DNA sample kept for all donors: Donor DNA extracts are kept indefinitely at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, allowing you to do additional tests in the future, if required
- High success rates – Pregnancy rates for donor egg IVF are 71-79%
Donor sperm IVF
Single women can consider IVF with donor sperm in Cyprus, where you could either get a vial of sperm from the local bank or order from any known international sperm bank.
Donor sperm can be considered if you have:
- Azoospermia – the total absence of sperm cells in semen, which affects 1 percent of all males
- Poor morphology of sperm
- Excessive sperm DNA fragmentation, which sometimes is the reason for repeated miscarriages
- Inherited diseases from your family
- Undergone treatment for cancer, which may have damaged your sperm
Few checks for a reliable sperm bank are:
- Careful selection of donors: They only intake less than 5% of the total applicants, after satisfying a number of requirements.
- Extensive examination: To ensure you get the best quality samples, any sperm donor would undergo extensive testing for blood and genetic disorders as well as STIs. A psychological counselling is also normally part of the process.
- 6-month storage: The US the Food and Drug Association (FDA) requires that all donated sperm be frozen for a period of 6 months and the donor is retested after that, to ensure the sample is disease-free and safely available to use.
IVF clinics in Cyprus
Is genetic testing allowed in Cyprus?
Pre-implantation genetic testing (PGT) is now routinely used in IVF to find:
- Any abnormality in the number of chromosome sets
- Chromosomal translocation
- Single gene disorders
Depending upon your requirement and genetic history, a proper genetic testing technique will be advised. For example, the 5 probe FISH method in minimalist and screens the X, Y, 13, 18, and 21 chromosomes, which are considered the most important.
For specific genetic diseases, a different method, called PGT-M, will be used.
Which is the best IVF clinic in Cyprus?
So many clinics, so many options are bound to leave anyone confused. If you want to select the best IVF clinic for yourself, there are three main things to consider:
- The expertise and experience of the doctor
- The infrastructure and facilities offered by the clinic
- How they treat you when you visit for consultation
Once you have taken into note whether or not the clinic utilizes the latest technology, their accreditations, overall success rate in IVF, the doctor’s experience and capabilities, it boils to how they make you feel.
Ask questions and see if you feel confident proceeding with the clinic you choose.
What are the success rates of IVF in Cyprus?
The highly experienced Dr. Krinos and his team performs over 600 IVF cycles/year and they have consistently demonstrated some of the highest success rates in the region.
The cumulative success rates for all age groups are recorded are as below:
|IVF with own eggs and fresh transfer||55%|
|Frozen embryo transfer||64%|
|IVF with donor eggs||79%|
|IVF with donor sperm||78%|
|IVF with PGT||82%|
IVF Cyprus – Age limit & legal guidelines
In May of 2015, a new legislation was passed in Cyprus to cover and regulate fertility treatments for all patients.
- Heterosexual couples as well as single women are allowed to undergo artificial reproductive treatments to be able to conceive.
- Women upto 50 years can receive IVF treatments.
- Genetic testing of embryos is allowed but only if there’s a medical indication for it.
- A maximum of two embryos can be transferred in women under 38 years. For women of 38 and beyond, three embryos can be transferred on the doctor’s discretion.
- IVF with donor eggs and donor sperm are both legally allowed and well regulated.
- Surrogacy is legal but only for Cyprus locals. Anyone holding a foreign passport cannot commission for surrogacy in Cyprus.
Natural IVF Cyprus
Natural IVF is process of collecting one naturally matured egg from your ovaries and fertilizing it with the sperm in a lab. Unlike conventional IVF, it does not involve hormone injections, which some women prefer.
Since there is only one egg to work with, the chances of success are relatively lower as compared to a typical IVF cycle, where the ovaries are stimulated to mature multiple eggs in a single cycle. You can discuss with the doctor to see whether or not it is the right option for you.
How much time is required?
You can expect a normal cycle of IVF to be completed in 18-20 days. This includes several visits to the clinic for ovarian stimulation and monitoring, egg collection, sperm collection, fertilization, and embryo transfer.
The treatment time can vary by a few days if any additional investigations or procedures are required in your situation.
If you need genetic testing of the embryos, the first trip can be shorter but you’ll have return again for embryo transfer.
Traveling to Cyprus
This island country in the Mediterranean has rich history and culture. The pristine beaches glazed by more than 300 days of sunshine in a year, attract millions of tourists to Cyprus.
The laid-back, mellow life in the country makes for the perfect setting for a relaxed, stress-free IVF cycle.
You must enter the Republic of Cyprus only via Larnaca or Paphos airport or any of the four ports located at Larnaca, Paphos, Limassol or Larsi.
The government of the Republic of Cyprus does not exercise effective control in the northern part of the island, and those entry points are considered illegal.
Citizens of the US, Canada, Australia, UK and the European Union do not need visa to stay in Cyprus for upto 90 days. There are several other countries, whose citizens might be exempt from getting a visa for short-duration travel to Cyprus.
For more information and our current specials for IVF in Cyprus, get in touch via the form on this page. To get started, request an online consultation and see if IVF is the right treatment for you.
Sharma M, Leslie SW. Azoospermia. [Updated 2022 Nov 28]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK578191/