One of the most experienced IVF doctors in Europe
FIRST IVF clinic in entire Cyprus & Greece; 40+ years of experience
Procreation is a human need and being diagnosed with infertility can be devastating. If you’ve been recommended to see a fertility expert, and are worried about the high costs or long waiting lines for infertility treatments, consider affordable IVF in Cyprus.
This island country in the Mediterranean Sea is visited by over 3 million people annually and for IVF here, you can expect excellent facilities at much lower costs.
Cyprus is a small island, which is divided into two parts—you want to arrive at and stay south of the border, if you’re visiting a clinic there. The southern part of Cyprus is relatively more developed, has great beaches and abundant choices for food and lodging.
More importantly, we have one of the most experienced doctors for IVF in Cyprus, who has over 40 years of experience in the field and is responsible for setting up the country’s first fertility center in 1986.
Dr. Krinos Trokoudes not only was the pioneer of IVF in Cyprus, he has many firsts to his credit when it comes to IVF techniques and treatments. He also has great influence amongst IVF clinics of Greece as he established the first fertility centers there.
What is the cost of IVF in Cyprus?
The cost of IVF in Cyprus is €4299; this includes:
- Ultrasound monitoring
- Semen sample processing
- Ovum pickup
- Intracytoplasmic semen injection (ICSI)
- Fertilization and the growth of embryo to blastocyst stage
- Embryo transfer
- Cryopreservation of leftover embryos
- Professional fee of the doctor, anesthesiologist, nurses, and lab workers
- Processing of a semen specimen to fertilize the eggs.
- Assisted hatching, if applicable
The cost of stimulation medication depends upon your individual requirements; they are usually less
What are the success rates of IVF in Cyprus?
The highly experienced Dr. Krinos and his team performs over 600 IVF cycles/year and they have consistently demonstrated some of the highest success rates in the region.
The cumulative success rates for all age groups are recorded are as below:
|IVF with own eggs and fresh transfer||55%|
|Frozen embryo transfer||64%|
|IVF with donor eggs||79%|
|IVF with donor sperm||78%|
|IVF with PGT||82%|
IVF Cyprus – Age limit & legal guidelines
In May of 2015, a new legislation was passed in Cyprus to cover and regulate fertility treatments for all patients.
- Heterosexual couples as well as single women are allowed to undergo artificial reproductive treatments to be able to conceive.
- Women upto 50 years can receive IVF treatments.
- Genetic testing of embryos is allowed but only if there’s a medical indication for it.
- A maximum of two embryos can be transferred in women under 38 years. For women of 38 and beyond, three embryos can be transferred on the doctor’s discretion.
- IVF with donor eggs and donor sperm are both legally allowed and well regulated.
- Surrogacy is legal but only for Cyprus locals. Anyone holding a foreign passport cannot commission for surrogacy in Cyprus.
Is donor egg IVF in Cyprus allowed?
Yes, egg donation in Cyprus is legal and there are excellent options and quite an extensive pool of donors.
The donors are selected on a strict criterion following the rules and regulations set by international organizations like the HFEA (UK), Health Canada, as well as the FDA.
The selection criteria check the donors for:
- Medical history
- Family history (upto 2-3 generations)
- Education and profession
- Drinking and smoking habits, and the use of any illegal substances
Besides, complete medical and gynecological tests are done before anyone is accepted into the donor program. This includes blood group, AMH, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia (PCR), Gonorrhea (PCR), and CMV, etc.
Only women between 18 and 33 years of age can donate their eggs, and using vitrified eggs from these donors, an average clinical pregnancy rate of 78 % has been recorded.
Highlights of our Donor Egg program in Cyprus
- International accreditation: Only of the only donor banks to be EUTCD licensed by the EUTCD, approved by the FDA, and is compliant of HFEA Heath Canada, Ireland, Sweden, and Irish guidelines.
- International Donors: Large international pool of donors because of the international universities in the area and expats that come to work in Cyprus. We can also provide fresh oocytes upon request.
- Anonymity – We hold anonymous and non-anonymous donors and follow the regulations based on the country the patients are being treated. Patients treated in Cyprus must use anonymous donors but if eggs or embryos are shipped to a non-anonymous country, the donor will be non-anonymous
- Our guarantee: Provided that sperm meets the WHO criteria for normality
- 2 blastocysts guaranteed from 8 mature oocytes
- 1 blastocyst guaranteed from 6 mature oocytes
- Genetic testing: All donors are routinely tested for up to 250 recessive genes including Fragile-X, Cystic Fibrosis, SMA & Thalassemia
- DNA sample kept for all donors: Donor DNA extracts are kept indefinitely at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, allowing you to do additional tests in the future, if required
- High success rates – Pregnancy rates for donor egg IVF are 71-79%
What steps will be involved in our IVF procedure?
The steps of IVF procedure will be explained to you during your first consultation and you’d be asked to see the doctor on day 2 or day 3 of your period to begin the treatment:
Below are the steps in brief:
- Controlled ovarian stimulation (COS): You will get stimulation injections for 8-10 days while being constantly monitored and your eggs will be collected subsequently
- Sperm collection: Sperm will be collected and processed on the same day
- Fertilization: The eggs are fertilized with the selected sperm and the embryos are allowed to grow for 3-5 days
- Embryo transfer: The embryos, at this stage, are either sent over for genetic testing or the best one is transferred to your uterus
- Pregnancy test: In about two weeks, you can do the pregnancy test and check for results
How many days are you required to stay in Cyprus?
You can expect a normal cycle of IVF to be completed in 18-20 days. This includes several visits to the clinic for ovarian stimulation and monitoring, egg collection, sperm collection, fertilization, and embryo transfer.
The treatment time can vary by a few days if any additional investigations or procedures are required in your situation.
If you need genetic testing of the embryos, the first trip can be shorter but you’ll have return again for embryo transfer.
Logistics of traveling in Cyprus
This island country in the Mediterranean has rich history and culture. The pristine beaches glazed by more than 300 days of sunshine in a year, attract millions of tourists to Cyprus.
The laid-back, mellow life in the country makes for the perfect setting for a relaxed, stress-free IVF cycle.
You must enter the Republic of Cyprus only via Larnaca or Paphos airport or any of the four ports located at Larnaca, Paphos, Limassol or Larsi.
The government of the Republic of Cyprus does not exercise effective control in the northern part of the island, and those entry points are considered illegal.
Citizens of the US, Canada, Australia, UK and the European Union do not need visa to stay in Cyprus for upto 90 days. There are several other countries, whose citizens might be exempt from getting a visa for short-duration travel to Cyprus.